Friday, January 28, 2011

Do you want Chicken Nuggets or Sushi... SUSHI SUSHI SUSHI pleaaaase

Abrielle is OBSESSED with Sushi.  We began going to Tuna II when Abrielle was probably 18 months old.  I know that she could talk some and was still in a high chair.  When we first started I would order a bowl of rice for her and she would use either her fingers or a kiddie spoon to scoop it up.  The owners and their teenage daughter loved her and loved when we came in.  The other patrons would talk about how we had a baby in a Sushi restaurant... first off she is a toddler and secondly it wasn't like she was eating raw fish... it was a bowl of rice....


Once she turned two I remember making shrimp at our apartment and giving her some to try.  She devoured it.  She ate shrimp like other kids ate cheerios.  We went to dinner at Red Lobster just a bit after this and Hollie ordered crab legs... Abrielle decided she needed to try them.... she went to town on them.  Poor Hollie kept giving away the best part of her meal. 


Once Abrielle started loving the shrimp we would order her pieces of shrimp sushi at Tuna II when we went.  By two and half she was using the training chop sticks like a professional.  Shrimp sushi is simply cooked shrimp laid over sticky rice.  When crazy lady hit the three year mark we would go to sushi after gymnastics every other week or so.  Now she was daring... everytime she went she would order a piece of new sushi to try.  She doesn't like the rolls... she will not try anything with the seaweed wrapping... but she has no problem with the raw sushi.  The first one she tried was yellow tail.  She went through a few weeks of ordering that then she wanted to try a new one... this time it was red snapper... she likes squid and fluke... she is not a fan of tuna though.


Tonight we were done running our errands and I asked Abrielle what she wanted for dinner.  Jason and I were torn on whether we felt like sitting down for a dinner or just grabbing something to take home.  I asked Abrielle if she wanted  chicken nuggets or Sushi... this child SCREAMED SUSHI SUSHI SUSHI pleeeassssseeeeeee.  It was so funny.


We ordered the sushi boat to share instead of individual orders and I ordrered the spicy squid to start.  This is cooked squid in the most delicous spicy sauce.  Abrielle was muching on a bowl of rice when the spicy squid came on... she literally threw down her spoon and informed me that I had to share with her.  So I give her some of it and tell her to use her fingers or use her spoon to eat it.  "Mommy I need my special chopsticks.. I can't use a spoon for squid." YIKES!!!!!


So our yummmy sushi boat arrives at the table and Abrielle is the first person to get their chopsticks to the food.  She goes right in and says, "those are my red snappers" and scoops one up.

She then continues to eat a squid, fluke, yellow tail and a crab.  When she realized there was crab sushi you would have thought she found all her presents underneath the Christmas tree.  She really sounded more excited about this crab sushi then she did at Christmas.  This kid mowed down half a bowl of rice, half of my spicy squid order and five huge pieces of sushi.  Oh I almost forgot the ice cream that she ate.  Granted we haven't had sushi in almost two months but this was a bit much. The owners and their daughter still love her to death.  Everytime we come in they wait to see what she will eat.  One time Jason and I went in by ourselves and I almost thought they were going to make us leave and go get her.


I love that she is so silly and that she is a 3 year old whose favorite food is sushi.... it makes my days!!!

1 comment:

  1. She's more daring when it comes to sushi than I am! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete